Families supporting families has proven to be one of the most rewarding aspects of assistance, technical and emotional, that truly works. UACF has made it our goal to provide family support groups with the tools and support mechanisms they need to connect, sustain their network, and thrive.
You will find a sampling of support group referrals below:
- Adult Children of Mentally Ill Parents - Community forum and links for adult children of mentally ill parents.
- American Mental Health Association - Schizophrenia, depression, bipolar and schizoaffective disorder, NBD, alcoholism, and drug addiction are discussed in terms of cause, treatment, prevention, recovery, and online self-help therapy.
- Angel Survive - A support site (chat and forum) for victims and survivors of abuse. Includes forums for triggers, articles, partners, survivors' stories, self-harm, eating disorders, and happy endings.
- Breath of Fresh Air - Contains articles, stories, experiences, art, and poetry submitted by patients, caregivers, families, and medical professionals. Includes mental health news, advocacy and recovery.
- Daily Strength
- Defunct Board - A message board to share feelings, thoughts, actions, or anything else about depression and addiction.
- Dr. John Grohol's Forums - Active self-help discussion threads about specific disorders and other mental health topics. Also provides a chat area.
- Friendship Network - Non-profit organization which introduces single men and women recovering from mental illness to one another. Includes history, how it works, membership, real stories, and media.
- HealthyPlace.com - Information on psychological disorders and psychiatric medications. Includes mental health chats, support groups, journals, diaries, online psychological tests, and news.
- Mental Earth Community - Mental health forums managed by Dr. Warren Selekman, Ph.D. This site offers a variety of mental health forums and chat rooms.
- Mixed Nutz - Support site for people dealing with mental illnesses. Chat room, bulletin board, and personal experiences.
- NAMI (National Alliance for the Mentally Ill) - Not-for-profit, grassroots, self-help, support and advocacy organization of consumers, families, and friends of people with severe mental illnesses.
- NAMI State Affiliates - Links to state affiliates of the National Alliance for the Mentally Ill.
- National Empowerment Center - Practical information and techniques for recovery from mental illness.
- National Mental Health Awareness Campaign - Provides help and hope for those in crisis, working to eliminate stigma of mental illness that may prevent people in crisis from seeking help.
- People Who Experience Mood Swings - For people who experience mood swings, fear, voices and visions, containing a number of resources and articles.
- Psycho-Babble - Message board for mutual support and education, focused on medication-related topics.
- RealMentalHealth.com - Online social network, offers blogs, journals, boards, and video chat. Includes groups about eating disorders, parenting, ADHD, OCD, relationships, self-harm, and dissociative disorders.
- Support Groups - Provides online support groups for individuals, friends, and families who are looking to connect during life's challenging times.
- The Bright Side - Support, resources, and information for those struggling with mental or emotional difficulties. Includes feeling down, coping with loss, aging well, news and events, and creative minds.
- World Fellowship for Schizophrenia and Allied Disorders - An international education and support network for families and friends of people with mental illnesses.
- Yahoo Groups: My Tears Are Real - A pro-recovery BPD, depression and self-injury support group.
National. 200 affiliated groups. Founded 1990. Organization dedicated to the life-long concerns of brothers and sisters of children with special health, developmental, and mental health concerns. Provides training and technical assistance regarding Sibshops and workshops for school-age siblings.
Sibling Support Project
6512 23rd Ave. NW, Suite 213
c/o Donald Meyer
Seattle, WA 98117